Part A: You, the Writer.

What was your writing identity prior to the course?

Before CRW, I would write primarily in English class and maybe sometimes jot down small little stories once in a while. My words were never spoken aloud. I never shared any of my personal works and always felt extremely embarrassed with what I would write in English. I never wrote for myself or for just the joy of writing. It always had to be with something that was actually “important” like writing a critical essay or a source analysis.

I never thought of myself as a “writer” since I feel as though I’m not the best at accepting my work for what it was. There was always someone better than me that I felt like I never could be like. It never dawned on me that I could better myself through emulations and practice.

What is your writing identity now? 

I am finally comfortable with my voice. I don’t fret too much about what other’s will think of my writing because I write for myself now. I don’t think I am indeed a “writer” just yet, but I feel like I’m getting there.

I really found my groove of how I write with my piece Childhood Friend. I talk about issues that I wanted to talk about and began to pick out themes that I would later explore. Particularly depression and other mental illnesses. I was always told in English that it is best to write about personal experiences but it never really clicked with me until I sat down and began to just write.

I honestly found myself in poetry. I never enjoyed it before and always dreading having to do it, but I understand the beauty of it now. How simple it is to get my points across while still maintaining an artistic flow.

Reflect on your development as a writer.

Genre-> I mostly write poetry because it’s the one that I find the most comfortable. Because I was also in Drama 20 this semester, I also got to write through playwriting.

Ideas-> Like most people, I write about love. I write about hardships in life. I write about mental illnesses that people don’t want to talk about. I did try to write about other topics that were more foreign to me and played around with different voices. Like anger in my piece But Still, I Rise or growing old in my emulation during our writer’s seminar about Shane Koyzcan.

Details-> Some of my writing has a lack of details in them. One of my weak points in writing is definitely details and adding them in to enhance the story. Whenever I put them in, I contradict myself and put them in places that they’re not required. For next year, I am definitely going to work on details.

Structure-> I feel like my structure is mostly just short paragraphs with one sentence left by itself for more emphasis.

Voice and Style-> Through this class, I have created a stronger voice for myself. I know how to use my style to bring it out, too. My style is very focused on the repetition of words throughout the pieces to keep reminding the reader of the message that I want to get across. The pieces with the most repetition to me are In the Still of the Night, My Voice, and Letters to My Oppressor.

GUMPS-> Oh boy. I have a lot of GUMPS when I write because I am just trying to get my ideas out as fast as I can. This can lead to a lack of proper punctuation and janky sentences that are not appropriately structured.

How would you explain your voice? What is stylistic of you?

When I write, I become a different person. I become very dark and pessimistic when that is not how I appear in real life. That is why all of my pieces are entirely in black and white- to try to show that there is someone else writing. I try to write with happy endings and more upbeat themes, but I find it incredibly dull and find that the dark thoughts always find their way onto my paper.

I try to be stylistic through repetition and the use of personifying emotions and other things that I don’t see embodied very often.

As a mentor writer, what advice would you give to future creative writers?

READ. Read whenever you can. Try to challenge yourself with books that you wouldn’t usually read. Observe the author’s voice and writing style and if you like it, try to emulate from it.

Also, don’t be afraid to write what you want to write. You are putting your opition out into the world and allowing other’s to see the world how you see it. Writing should be fun and something to help you learn about yourself and what you truly think about things. Use it as an outlet and a safe place when you feel like the world is against you.

Future goals and plans regarding writing?

I want to write more. I want to get to a point with my writing where I don’t have to doubt check if everything that’s in the piece has to be there. I have to write diplomas next year and I don’t want to be spending precious time with little habits that can be avoided.

I want to further strengthen my voice and to try writing more in ethos and logos since I only ever write in pathos.