Writer’s Seminar 2018: Shane Koyzcan

Talk Show

H1- Tim

H2- Emily

SK- Paxton

*Title Slide*

*Change Slide*

Let the music play out

H1– Hello and thank you for tuning into our show this afternoon. We have a real special guest for you today, Shane Koyczan!

SK– Hey! Thanks for having me!

H2 – So tell us a little bit about yourself.

SK– Well, I was born in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, But I grew up in British Columbia. In 2000, I won the Individual Championship title at the National Poetry Slam, and I’ve been writing poetry and spoken word ever since. In 2010 I performed a poem called We are More, about being Canadian, for the Vancouver Winter Olympics.

H1– So as a poet who writes about subjects such as bullying, do you have any personal experiences that you base your writing on?

SK– I got bullied a lot when I was a kid, and because of that I thought for the most part that I didn’t really have a childhood – I had to grow up so quickly.  And it hasn’t been until recently that I’ve been looking back at what happened in my youth.

H2– So what are some of the books you have published?

*Change Slide*

SK- few of my books include: Stickboy, Visiting hours, To This Day, and Our Deathbeds Will Be Thirsty and some others as well.

H1– What advice would you give to young writers?

*Change Slide*

SK– That you aren’t meant to be indestructible. You’re expected to build a better self, using what you can salvage from every time you’ve been destroyed. You should explore that sentiment, right down to the use of the semicolons.

H2– Why do you write? What drives you?

SK– Part of it is therapy. Part of it is just getting down “here’s what I’m actually thinking” out there on paper. It’s almost like a diagnostics test. It’s me getting my feelings out there so I can look at them on them on the page. I love the creativity of it. I love being able to be concise about what I’m thinking or feeling in a way that is creative. The thing about poetry is that it comes from parts of my life, but I like to write other things as well. I love to write science fiction. I want to invent things.

H1– What an excellent way to look at writing. Well, that’s all the time we have today so once again, thank you for coming onto the show and inspiring young writers everywhere.

*Change Slide*

Talk Show Over

Typicality –

Subject matter- Bullying, Suicide, Cancer, etc.

Style- Spoken Word, Imagery, Metaphors, Narrative, Hyperbole

Form- Oral literature and poetry

Themes- Being one’s worst enemy, Beating the odds, Death, Love conquers all, Disillusionment and dreams, Emptiness of attaining false dreams, Facing reality, Rebirth

Annotation-  (5-10 Minutes)

All of our stories start and end here.
We are sheltered within an atmosphere that has given us every single breath we will ever take
Every monument we have ever made has come from the flesh of our planet.
Water like blood, skin like soil, bones like granite
It is not a myth, there is no debate, facts are in
Fact is, there’s never been any question.
We are facing crisis.
We dismiss the truth not because we can’t accept it, but because having to commit ourselves to change is a scary prospect for anybody.
The most alarming part of the statement ‘we are facing crisis’
Isn’t the word ‘crisis’,
It’s the word ‘we’.
Because those two letters take the responsibility away from one and rest it squarely on the shoulders of everybody.
We are Atlas now.
But our strength will come from finding a way to share in shouldering the responsibility of turning the impossible into somehow
Somehow, we will do this.

Argumentation: Humans can and SHOULD unite any common goal regardless of our differences.

Rhetoric devices:

Diction

(We, our, responsibility)

Allegories

(Atlas)

Alliteration

(Water like blood, skin like soil, bones like granite)

Emulation- (5-10 Minutes)

Remember how we forgot?

Remember how no one ever really died in the wars we fought?

Because each gunshot came from our fingertips and we never really kept them loaded just in case.

Cause each enemy was a friend and none of it was about oil, religion, or land.

It was all just pretend.

Remember how we used to bend reality?

Like we were circus strong men.

Like our imaginations were in shape then.

Like we were all ninjas trained in the deadly art of “did not”.

Like “I totally got you” “Did not”

Remember how we forgot?

Remember how our parents told us never to look directly into the sun.

And how we were their son.

And so we never looked directly into the mirror, in fear that we would go blind.

My Emulation:

Remember how we forgot? How we thought that love was just a straight line with one destination? How only time would tell how wrong we were? How many wilted flowers and tear stained cheeks there were.

Remember how we fought? Spitting meaningless insults just to try to one-up one another? All the sleepless nights and empty beds that should have been full. I would trade my life to just be in those moments again and make them right.

Remember how we were? Spry and eager for adventures. The scars and smile lines spread across me is our love story. Every new mark a new chapter in the tale. I wear them with pride for they are my trinkets of you.

Remember how we forgot?  To cherish every moment we had together. Because yes, there was a first kiss and an endless stream of more to come. But there also was a last kiss.

When I finally had to say goodbye.

Overview-

This writer is significant to us because;

He speaks out on issues that are typically not shown to the public

He rose above his bullies and strives to never become them

He lets others know that they are not alone in their battles

That whatever you feel is normal and not to be ashamed of

He has such a gift with words

Gives you a different perspective on life

Slide Show: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/13ccW9amCgmxkkleu4-DLHAKQsQPZ57SReMSL_DJPteE/edit#slide=id.p