About Me 2018

I am a baby’s first breath…

Fragile but unbreakable.

Pure and full of promises.

I am a child’s giggling fits…

Full of eternal joy.

Feeling that nothing is wrong in the world.

Leaping in head-first with no fear of the consequences to follow.

I am a teenager’s reluctant sighs…

Full of rebellion yet silently obedient.

Treated like a child but expected to act like an adult.

Unable to see the potential that is just out of sight.

Uncontrollable emotions that swirl inside like a violent storm.

I am an adult’s held breath…

Scared of what is too come but determined to keep going.

To not let the past define what the future hold.

Holding pleasant memories like a flashlight to help through dark times.

I am a person’s last breath…

Always there, silently in the background.

The demise is inevitable.

For my about me, I wanted to personify something that everyone does throughout life but how it can change over time and have different meanings. I took this idea from one of my favourite books, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and how he personified death to tell a story. Everything I say in this I feel are different parts of what makes me who I am and I wanted to show it in a way that I seemed would describe it in a new way.

Throughout life, I have always been described as having a child-like heart and having innocence like a baby. It greatly inspired me to write this piece the way I did because as I was creating drafts, I always noticed that I would talk about life as if it was in a child’s perspective so I just saw where it would take me and it seemed to lead me to this idea.

All of the words used in the piece are words that I would definitely use to describe myself and how others describe me as well.

This piece can be seen as a personal timeline of my life and how I have gone through life so far. In my childhood, I was a very joyful kid with a never-ending amount of energy and seeing the whole world as my own personal playground. But as I am growing up, I get the feeling that the world seems to be against me and even though I still have my optimistic outlook on life, it is sometimes covered by dark thoughts. When I get like that, I find myself looking back at the past and using happy memories from my childhood to comfort me, but I make sure to leave my mistakes in the past. I know that one day I am going to die, it is the one truth in life. I just hope that when I am gone, I have left a part of me in the living world through my writing and what I go through life.